Thursday, June 28, 2012

Those breast cancer women

When I started the Race for the Cure team first it was for my grandma who helped raised me, then for my friend Lisa, then my friend MaryAnn, then it became about "those breast cancer women". I thought about all the ways breast cancer changed a woman. Those curves and cleavage that show her beautiful, womanly body were now going to be fake or gone. The breast milk that sustained her babies was now tainted with a disease. The nipples that are so exciting were going to lose all feeling and even be removed. The fact that no 2 woman have the same breasts making her unique were now "what size do you want?".  The fright that builds with all the doctor appointments along with physical scars that breast cancer leaves, too. I felt like those things helped define a woman. Then I got stupid dumb breast cancer and I was enlightened. Breast cancer does not define us it refines us. The mastectomy shows the courage that "yes I had breast cancer and kicked it OUT". The ducts that held the milk are gone showing the strength to fight this disease. Who needs nipples? Get rid of them showing the hope that there will be a cure! The scars show the battle and the fighter, reminding us that healing has begun. It is ok to be scared being brave is doing what you have to even though you are scared.  Stupid dumb breast cancer will never define or have me because I have courage, hope, strength, plus I am a fighter. Even if there is chemo it does not matter, that is when my family and friends take over and give me courage, strength, and hope reminding me I am a fighter.

This advertisment was brought to you by the team leader of CURE OR BUST, who is battling stupid dumb breast cancer, we are a proud CNY Susan G. Komen supporter

11 comments:

  1. My scars are my battle wounds. I have alot of them and I am proud of them. We are warriors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a fighter for sure! Thanks for the support:)

      Delete
  2. And those of us at SGK come to work everyday to help raise awareness, remind everyone of early detection, and to find the cures that will someday put an end to this insidious disease! Thank you for all you do. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This whole experience proves early detection right and makes my crusade even more vengeful!!!

      Delete
  3. AM you are such a powerful, wonderful woman. I never knew what a powerful, wonderful writer your are. Thank you for so beautifully and eloquently sharing your story.
    XO Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks woman! It took some will power to not say fuck anytime throught it that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. Stupid Dumb Breast Cancer may leave scars on the outside but never on the inside because you are too full of love, energy and craziness. You are kickin ass already.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being in the middle of the "fight" myself....I loved this blog.....one of my friends gave me a quote i love,

    "Concentrate on the FIGHT not the Fright" ..... good thoughts your way....and if you want to talk to an old bird....Im around. Mel can give you my info.....Keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fright is not an option. This does not define us it refines our outcome. Email me any time amandtom@msn.com I love to talk!

    ReplyDelete